What is Students on Ice?
Students on Ice is an award-winning and globally unique educational program. Since 1999, we have taken more than 2,500 students, educators, elders, scientists,artists, musicians and leaders from 52 countries around the world on educational expeditions to the Arctic and the Antarctic. We believe the Polar Regions are the world’s greatest classrooms. They are the cornerstones of the global ecosystem and tremendous platforms for education in history, culture, science, political, social and environmental issues. The expeditions are inspiring and life-altering for the students involved. The expeditions represent once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for youth to expand their knowledge about the circumpolar world, to gain a global perspective of the Arctic, its wonders, and its present and future challenges. One of the key goals of the pioneering project is to “pass the torch” and give the world’s youth a heightened understanding and respect for our Planet, and the inspiration, knowledge and motivation to protect it.
Eligibility Criteria - Teacher
- Be a Malaysian citizen, and currently living in Malaysia.
- The teacher must understand that this is an educational expedition, not a vacation experience. He/she must be committed to participate fully in all aspects of the program and assist whenever needed.
- The teacher must be dynamic, enthusiastic, engaging, and comfortable interacting with a large and diverse group of youth.
- Candidate must be capable of providing guidance to youth who are far from home in a foreign environment and support the SOI core staff and daily education program in a variety of roles.
- Candidate is not expected to be an expert on the Polar Regions, nor qualified in Zodiac operation, but must demonstrate an interest in the Polar Regions.
- Candidate must be prepared to share experience on SOI with the community before, during and after the expedition. He/she will be expected to be available for media interviews and to submit journal entries for the SOI Expedition Website and other blogs.
- Candidate must demonstrate some or all of the following qualities: passion for learning; leadership qualities and/or potential to develop these qualities; active involvement in the community.
- Candidates must possess a passport or be able to complete the process of obtaining a passport.
Eligibility Criteria - Student
- Be a Malaysian citizen, and currently living and studying in Malaysia.
- Must be a student and at the age of 16 years old at the time of application,enrolled in a secondary institution at form 4 at the time of application. Preference will be given for science students.
- Student must demonstrate an interest in issues relating to the Polar Regions and must understand that this is an educational expedition, not a vacation. All students must be committed to participate fully in all aspects of the mandatory education program and research activities prior to and during the expedition.
- Student must demonstrate some or all of the following qualities: strong academic ability and/or passion for learning;ability to communicate in English both speaking and writing, leadership qualities and/or potential to develop these qualities; active involvement in the community and co-curriculum; and a desire to make a difference and act as a role model for other young people in the community.
- Act as an ambassador for your community or educational institution and be prepared to share your experience on SOI with your community before, during and after the expedition. Students will be expected to be available for media interviews and to submit journal entries for the SOI Expedition Website and other blogs.
- Student must submit a completed application form with a letter of reference.
- Student must possess a passport or to start the process of obtaining a passport that is valid for six (6) months after an expedition
ARCTIC EXPEDITION 2015
ARCTIC EXPEDITION 2016
- Selection Process (Polar Science Camp), 12-14 May 2016 ( Universiti Malaysia Terengganu )
- Send- Off Ceremony Students on Ice, Hotel Sama Sama, 20 July 2016
Please download application form here :