International Symposium On Tropical Antarctic Teleconnections (TATE)
In conjunction with the Antarctica Day celebration, on 1 Dec 2022, Tropical Antarctic Teleconnections (TATE), the action group under Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), will organize an international symposium. The title of the symposium is ‘Tropical Antarctic teleconnection: understanding the linkages of climate patterns.’ Over the last several decades, there has been a significant increase in scientific understanding of influences on the Antarctic climate from the tropics and vice-versa. The importance of the linkage between tropical climate and variability in the high latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere (SH), particularly over the Antarctic, has been recognized for decades.
Climatic teleconnections are receiving much interest these days because they are likely to play a significant role in global climate change variability and extreme weather. Therefore this symposium reviews our current understanding of the processes linking the tropics to Antarctica, which are not well understood yet key to the future trajectory of the Antarctic climate.
This symposium is sponsored by Tropical Antarctic Teleconnections (TATE) and is jointly organized by National Antarctic Research Center (NARC), UM-FASS Climate Change Research Group, Universiti Malaya and Sultan Mizan Antarctic Research Foundation (YPASM).
Objectives Of The Workshop And Further Discussions
- Review our current understanding of the processes linking the tropics to Antarctica.
- Enhance knowledge of the advances in research on tropical–polar teleconnections.
- Develop a list of scientific priorities and future plans for TATE.
- Develop summaries for policy.
List Of Speakers
- Prof. Seong-Joong Kim, Korea Polar Research Institute (Online)
- Prof. Francisco Eliseu Aquino, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (Online)
- Dr Kyle Clem, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. (In person)
- Dr Nuncio Murukesh, National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (In person)
- Dr Pranab Deb, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (Online)
- Prof. Dato’ Dr. Azizan Abu Samah (Universiti Malaya)
- Assoc Prof Dr Siti Aisyah Alias (Universiti Malaya)
- Dr. Sheeba Nettukandy Chenoli (Universiti Malaya)
Scientific Committee (International)
- Prof. Francisco Eliseu Aquino (Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul)
- Prof. Jefferson Cardia Simões (Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul)
- Prof. Seong-Joong Kim (Korea Polar Research Institute/University of Science and Technology)
Scientific Committee (Local)
- Dr. Mohd Fadzil Firdzaus Mohd Nor (Universiti Malaya)
- Dr Wee Cheah (Universiti Malaya)
- Dr. Tamalia Amanda Putri Othman (YPASM)
- Ms Siti Syairah Atiqah Azhar (Universiti Malaya)
- Mr Muhammad Hasifullah Bin Ibrahim (Universiti Malaya)
- Mr Muhammad Yunus Ahmad Mazuki (Universiti Malaya)
- Ms. Anna Tutsilawati Md Komaruddin (NARC)