National Antarctic Research Centre
Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan (YPASM) has signed a tripartite Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with University Malaya and University Malaysia Terengganu to jointly host the National Antarctic Research Centre (NARC) on 18 October 2022.
NARC serves as a centre to coordinate research activities of the Malaysian Polar community and is under the purview of YPASM. Besides coordinating research among the Malaysian Polar researchers, some of NARC’s roles and functions include expanding its network with international bodies related to Polar research, organizing conferences/symposiums/seminars/training/talks to benefit the Malaysian polar community and any other functions assigned by YPASM from time to time as agreed by NARC.
Role And Function Of NARC
- Coordinating Polar research activities
- Establishing networking and collaboration
- Identifying and coordinating research funds/projects
- Planning and organising events e.g. conference, symposium, seminar, training, outreach activities
- Advising Malaysian Government on polar related policy and governance through YPASM
NARC is committed to addressing climate change issues, conserving the ecosystem, and strengthening polar international cooperation
Undertaking excellent research to strengthen Malaysian polar involvement through streamlining coordination, promoting an inclusive work environment, and acknowledging the interest of stakeholders.
- Facilitating and coordinating Malaysian scientific efforts in the areas of global sciences
- Fostering Malaysian polar researchers’ capability and capacity at the national and international level
- Promoting and sustaining Malaysia’s presence as a significant player in Polar research.