Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan (YPASM) Research Grant is awarded to encourage local researchers to undertake research in polar science.The research grant will partially support the cost of research in polar sciences and policy by providing fund for the purpose of research, capacity building or joint fieldwork in the polar region or in established polar laboratories.
Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan Research Grant was established to:
- Promote and support scientific research in polar regions;
- Foster research activities that create broader beneficial impacts to the YPASM, nation and mankind; and
- Nurture and develop local expertise and human capital in polar research;
- Promote good governance of Polar Regions.
Research Priority Areas
All science and policy research related to the Polar Regions in the field of biology, ecology, geology, oceanography, glaciology and atmospheric science.
- Projects must be related to scientific research h in polar regions;
- Applicants must possess a PhD in any field of science & technology;
- Applicants must have at least 3 years’ experience in related field/ programme/research project; and
- Application is open to Malaysian researchers from universities participating in YPASM Smart Partnership initiative only (UM, UiTM, USM, UMS, UPM, UKM, UMT and IMU).
- Projects are encouraged to involve a minimum of two (2) local or international institutions. Letter of Agreement between collaborating institutions must accompany the application, clearly stating the respective scope of work and IP agreement and ownership.
Quantum and Duration Of Research Grant
The quantum and duration of Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan (YPASM) Research Grant will be based on merit of each application, and not exceeding 36 months with a total maximum allocation of RM150, 000.00.
Scope of Expenditure
The research grant can be utilized for the following categories:
1.Wages and Allowances for Temporary and Contract Personnel
- Includes wages and allowances for temporary and contract personnel who are directly engaged in the project. Up to two (2) temporary or contract personnel will be funded for each project.
- The maximum wages/allowances for temporary or contract personnel are up to RM 1,500.00 per month/per head.
2.Travel and Transportation
Includes travel and transportation expenses for domestic and overseas trip directly related to the project. Overseas trips must meet the following criteria;
- Only oral presentation at conferences or seminars on the findings of the project;
- When domestic facilities and expertise are inadequate to conduct a portion of the research. However, the venue must be suitable in terms of facilities, expertise and technology transfer;
- The project leader or collaborator or team member is only allowed to go once for the duration of the project; Travel is limited economy class using the shortest direct routes be either MAS or Air Asia except under extenuating circumstances;
- The project leader or collaborator needs to send an application for approval to YPASM before attending the conference together with a copy of the abstract/paper that is going to be presented
- The allocation for travelling overseas must be budgeted for in the research proposal and must get prior approval from YPASM.
- Travel and transportation allocation for overseas trips will be funded up to a maximum of 15% of the total expenses of the project or RM 22,500.00 whichever is less.
Only rental for special equipment not available in the institutions involved in the project and any other items directly related to the project can be included
Funding will be approved for only services directly related to the project such as:
- Consultancy – agreement/letter of intent must be submitted together with the project proposal;
- Payment for enumerators;
- Sample testing and analysis;
- Data processing;
- Paper publications related to the project;
- Registration fees for conference; and
- Engagement of foreign expert(s) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
5.The Funding cannot be used for:
- Capital purchases (equipment, facilities, etc). However, if specialized equipment is required for the success of the project, justification for its purchase must be given. Project leader will need to provide information on availability of such equipment and why it cannot be used or shared;
- Purchase of capital assets such as building, vehicles and furniture;
- Purchase of personal computer, laptop, printer, scanners;
- Purchase of books, stationeries and subscription to journals etc.
- Salary or allowances of any personnel.
Rules Of Application
The conditions for application of the YPASM Research Grant are:
- Applicants must submit research proposal (Form A) and detailed CV of applicants and collaborators (Form B) to YPASM;
- Applicants with relevant offer letter or invitation letter from other organization is encouraged to apply; and
- Research proposal will be evaluated by a panel of evaluators appointed by YPASM. Applicant may be called for presentation if required.
Deadline of Application : 31 March 2020