Polar Science – Climate Change Camp
Polar Science – Climate Change Camp is the final phase of the selection process to select participants for the “Students on Ice Arctic Educational Expedition”. The camp was organised in collaboration with the Terengganu State Education Department, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT) and Pusat Sains dan Kreativiti Terengganu (PSKT). During the camp, students and teachers have been exposed to issues involving climate change, latest policies in solving climate change, relationship between Malaysia and the polar regions, career as a polar scientist, Malaysia’s involvement in the region and various related topics. The issues mentioned were communicated through the following activities:
- Sharing sessions by Malaysian polar researchers and alumni of “Students on Ice” who have participated in expeditions to the Arctic continent.
- Laboratory visit and “hands-on” activities at University Malaysia Terengganu guided by Malaysian polar researchers at UMT
- Debate session on global issues related to the Arctic/Antarctica.
- Essay writing test
- Video screenings
- Video Creative Competition
- Introduction to environment-based community projects and green technology by selected NGOs.